Looking forward, looking back


It's getting to that time of the year when I usually starting looking back on the months, to see what I've accomplished (if anything), and start to consider what projects I might aim towards in the next year.

In two days time the whole world might not be here, if the conspiracy theorists who've taken the Mayan calendar out of context are right. (But the dawning of the Age of Aquarius didn't do a whole like to awaken a new consciousness in the world..so we'll just have to see about that one.)

2012 has been a fun year, I started out strong with two projects:


  1. Hell on Eight Wheels - A roller derby board game in the vein of Bloodbowl. It's gone as far I can push it without producing a prototype for some serious playtesting. I've got quite a lot of interest in it, especially among the local roller derby community.
  2. Walkabout - This has evolved organically and has developed into something that I want to get right. I had hoped that November's NaGa DeMon would be a perfect time to finalise development on it, but when I made several attempt to get the text down right, they just didn't capture the feel I was after. To avoid wrecking a work, I put it aside and worked on something completely new.

Which leads me to the one project that is basically finished, Ghost City Raiders. My first Pocketmod Playbook game. A bit like FUBAR, this one was lightning in a bottle. Trying to pin it down was a fluke, but now it seems to have taken on a life of it's own.

Outside of game design, I've finished college study in Fine Arts (it's not finished because I didn't want to go further, it's finished because the state government has pulled out all funding for arts courses at a college level), I walk away with a certificate IV (a typical 12 month attainment, just below a diploma for those who don't know the Aussie education system). As for where I'll be heading in the future, I've been accepted into graphic design and web design courses, and I should find out shortly if I've been offered a place at university to become a teacher.

With regards to game design, there are still so many ideas struggling to get out. We'll just have to wait and see.

Comments

Just going on record to say that Ghost City Raiders was a blast, and I'm glad i had the chance to play a bit to help you out. Also, I know a fair few roller derby chapesses in my neck of the wood. Keep me informed about developments on that front too, and I will try and get it into the right people's hands.

Popular posts from this blog

A Guide to Geomorphs (Part 7)